We may earn a small commission from, or have received products, from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are our own and were not influenced
I’m a huge fan of banana bread, but often I find that’s it’s either a little on the dry side, or it doesn’t have much banana flavor. Banana bread is also a great way to use up over ripened bananas so that they don’t go to waste.
I looked into ways that I could make the bread super moist, with a slightly crusty outside. I joke that I sort of created a Frankenrecipe because I had several family recipes and a few that came from books that have been passed down to me. There was a little something from each that I loved, but I wanted a banana bread that was my own, with my favorite ingredients.
Best Banana Bread Ever
First, mash 4 over-ripened bananas. If you have fresh bananas, you can bake them to quick-ripen them. Place them on a pan, in their skins, on 250º for 15-20 minutes. Let them cool completely, then mash.
You’ll notice a few differences with this recipe than you’ll find with others. First, we use brown sugar instead of granulated sugar. This gives the bread a richer flavor and helps create more moisture in the bread.
We also split the usual amount of butter in half and replaced it with 100% pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling). This also provide more moisture AND it reduces the amount of calories in the recipe.
Then combine the mashed bananas and the rest of the ingredients until well mixed. Don’t overmix.
Spray your pan with nonstick spray, shake it with flour, and fill it with your banana bread batter. Bake on 350º for 55-60 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool on the rack until it’s room temperature.
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/8 cup melted butter
- 1/8 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mash bananas.
- Mix all ingredients until well mixed, but don't over mix.
- Spray bread pan with non-stick spray and dust with flour.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 55-60 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack and cool until room temperature.
- Nutrition Facts
- 12 Servings
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 304.8
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1.8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 56.9 mg
- Sodium 162.0 mg
- Potassium 172.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 3.0 g
- *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.