Star Wars fans were up early today, cup of coffee in one hand and remote in the other, jaws dropped. Maybe that was just me? Likely not, since there were over 300,000 views of the newest, and last before its December 16th opening, received just in first few hours of its release.
What We Learned From The New Rogue One Trailer
- We now know the role actor Mads Mikkelson will play in the first Star Wars anthology film; it seems he will play the father of our lead heroine, Jyn Erso. It also appears that his character won’t just appear in childhood flashbacks, as Mon Mothma tells Jyn that her father “is critical to the development of the super weapon” we will come to know as The Death Star.
- We know how the movie got it’s name. “Rogue One” becomes their callsign for communication purposes.
- The visuals are awe-inspiring. The views of the Death Star, the wide shots of the landscapes, the fight scenes – all different from what we’re used to compared to previous Star Wars films.
- We’re wondering why, even though there’s a few-sconds-long shot of Darth Vader, why we don’t hear him speak. Is this deliberate? We do know, according to IMDB, that the familiar and original voice of James Earl Jones has been cast for this movie.
- We know how Jyn Erso joins the Rebel Alliance. We see that it’s the Rebellion that breaks Jyn out of jail, though it’s not yet clear why she was imprisoned.
- The battles are returning to space. In the last few Star Wars films, many of the battles have been land-based. Rogue One hints to more X-Wing fighters taking to flight!
- Are we looking at another chapter of family squabbles? In other Star Wars films, we’ve seen the father-son struggles between Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker and between Han Solo and Kylo Ren. Now, there’s a hint of there existing light/dark side-taking between Gyn and her father.
- There are only a few characters that have been part of previous StarWars projects; the rest were characters created for this film! Genevieve O’Reilly is reprising her role as Mon Mothma – we saw her in Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005). Jimmy Smits will return as Bail Organa. Had previously appeared on Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002) and Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005). In case you’ve forgotten, Bail and his wife, Breha, were Princess Leia’s adoptive parents. Saw Gerrera (Played by Forest Whitaker) is actually a character from The Clone Wars animated series. And, of course, DARTH VADER y’all!
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story opens in theaters on December 16.