We may earn a small commission from, or have received products, from the companies mentioned in this post. All opinions are our own and were not influenced
Is it wrong, as a parent, to be excited that the kids are headed back to school? Should I instead be sad that the house will be quiet and I might be able to get some work done?
I know I’m not the only parent that struggles with this; we love our kids, but summer has to come to an end. One thing I am thankful for, however, is that rarely this summer did we ever hear “I’m bored!” and the reason isn’t a magical parenting trick. It was reading.
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Scholastic. All opinions are my own and were not influenced.
Our family had so much fun being part of the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge this year! Encouraging your kids to read, not just during the summer but all year long, has so many amazing benefits. Not the least of which are preventing the “summer slide” and saving your sanity, going possibly an entire summer without hearing the words “I’m bored!”.
You Could Win Big This Summer
Don’t forget to check out the Energizer Instant Win Game for even more fun this summer! Your family could win a trip to New York City plus thousands of other prizes.
Five Favorite Summer Reading Picks For Preschoolers
My daughter, who is nearly 5-years-old, is the big reader in our family. Since she was old enough to walk, her favorite place to hang out with dad or
1. Hop On Pop, Dr. Seuss – It’s like a cruel test of tongue twisters, but dang it if Ella doesn’t love it
2. The Monster At The End Of This Book (Sesame Street) – Less scary than it sounds, but full of nighttime giggles
3. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle – How can you not love the fun and gorgeous illustrations of this kid’s book?
4. The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein – Basic black and white drawings and simple verbiage, but it’s still an amazing classic.
5. Pinkalicious, Victoria Kahn – Sadly, after we read this book eleventy billion times, we came down with a severe case of Pinkititis.
So, as our beloved Energizer Bunny heads back to school with a new backpack and surely, a fresh new set of Energizer batteries, what will keep your kids going and going? Which books will boost their interest in learning, help prevent the Summer Slide during vacation, or are likely to bring your family together for a little reading time.
Fun Fall Reading Resources From Scholastic
- Unlock Energizer® Instant Win Game from favorite Scholastic authors!
- Find Parenting Resources including Summer Reading printables, activity sheets, booklists and more!
- Play the Innovation Machine Game – a fun and creative writing game and contest!
- Visit “Videos in the Stacks” to receive reading tips for parents from Scholastic’s Maggie McGuire!
- Follow @Scholastic on Twitter
- Like the Energizer® Bunny on Facebook
- And, don’t forget to follow our adventures by searching hashtag #SummerReading